Monday, December 11, 2006

No shortage of chaos

On Friday I was driving home and my cell phone rang. It was our nanny calling -- I had a hard time hearing her because of piercing noise in the background followed by a computer generated voice and much laughter from the boy.

It seems he pushed the red button on the alarm pad. The alarm that we don't use.

She told me the name on the keypad and I called information. Did you know Veriz*n doesn't automatically dial the number for you any more? Instead for a small fee they'll send it to you in a text message. It is bad enough I'm making calls while driving, but I'm going to then add reading a text message and dialing? Not safe! So I waited.

I got home and you really couldn't hear the alarm outside, but inside it was pretty loud. I was worried about Spencer's ears so I had he and the nanny go to an extreme corner of the house. I pulled out the phone book and called the company. The company is now owned by the alarm company that begins with A for assholes.

I spoke to someone who instructed me to find the large metal box tucked away in one of the closets that i could open with the key cleverly kept on top of the box. Except there was no key.

I called back and was told that because the account isn't in our name, there was absolutely nothing they could do. Nothing. I asked if the alarm would ever stop ringing. She said no. Then asked if she could help with anything else. No, really, you've done enough.

My next call was to my husband who is still out of town. I knew he once got some house information from our realtor and I thought maybe, just maybe he'd kept it. But when you are in a bar on the other side of the country from your family it is impossible to hear your phone. So I called the realtor in case she had the old code. No such luck.

By then the alarm had been going off for 45 minutes. My head was pounding, Spencer was fussy and signing for milk and I thought I was going to have to call a locksmith. Instead I went and got tools. With screwdriver and wrench in hand I tried to get the box open. Because the box was so shallow I couldn't get any leverage to get the cover off. I then went and to a hammer and pried the stupid thing open and shut off the alarm.

I then sent the nanny on her way and went to a friend's house for dinner. I walked in, handed off the baby and poured a glass of wine before I even spoke. What a night! What a week!

Husband is back now so I'm sure we'll have a quiet, calm week with no incidents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home