Monday, September 20, 2004

Laparoscopic cystectomy: A primer

I provided the play-by-play for a friend who gets to have this fabulous surgery done in a couple of weeks and thought I'd throw it up here in case it helps someone, anyone.

Day of surgery:
We arrived at the hospital at 7:30 for a 9:30 procedure. Waited around. Met with the anesthesiologist and talked about her part of the operation. I had a bad experience when I lost an earlier pregnancy and we talked through how it would be different. They intubate you (tube down the throat) and have to use some pretty serious drugs to keep you under. She said it often makes you sick but luckily it didn't. Next my doctor came in and we talked about what she'd do if she found endometriosis then it was show time.

They made three incisions. One at my belly button, one straight below about two inches lower and one to the left side. The pre-op nurse also marked the left side before I went into surgery to make sure they operated on the correct side! During the operation they fill your belly with gas so they can see what's going on.

Next thing I remember I was coming to in the recovery room where I stayed about an hour (mostly I was out of it). My doctor came in and told me it was all a great success and then I moved to another recovery room where my husband was allowed to come and wait with me. After about 30 minutes I got dressed and went home.

That afternoon I had a couple of really good naps and took a darvocet every 5 or so hours. I woke up once during the night and took another because I was hurting quite a bit. That day the pain was more internal but really not horrible. I could have taken twice as many pain killers as I did if that gives you any indication.

Day after:
I woke up with a terrible sore throat from the tube. I was glad we had some throat lozenges around so you might want to get some. I felt pretty good, still tired and feeling more pain in my belly. Since the incisions are where you bend, it hurts! I was very low-key watched movies, read and continued to take darvocet -- only now every 6 hours or so.

Day two:
I had more energy and only took one darvocet in the morning. I forgot to say before that I lived for ice packs! I wore sweats with an ice pack tucked in the top for days. It made it feel much better than the pain killers. Ice is good. Low key day again with a couple of naps.

Day three:
Ice packs, ice packs, ice packs. Had a lot more energy, only took one nap and went to my bosses house for dinner. I was a little spacey at times but that might have been the wine! She's a doctor and recommended ibuprofen instead of darvocet. Many studies have shown that ibuprofen is better on pain plus it takes away swelling. So you might want to take some since there will be a little swelling.


Today:

I worked from home today and didn't nap and am now exhausted. The incisions are starting to itch which I think means they are healing. No ice packs or pain meds today. Tomorrow I'll go to work -- I'll probably show up a little late and leave a little early.

Surprises:
I was told I would bleed a little after but it shouldn't be too much. I've been bleeding a lot. I called the doctor over the weekend and a lap can bring on your period. The surgery was on day 22 of my cycle and I've been bleeding pretty heavily since. Seems like adding insult to injury to me. I was also warned about pain in your shoulders -- apparently the gas can lodge under your ribs and it transfers pain to your shoulders. I had a a bit of achiness and was glad to know why. Finally, my stomach has been a bit funky -- I think the gas moves things around a bit so I'd advise small meals and nothing spicy or heavy. I never get heartburn but did from a turkey sandwich.

So, that about describes the procedure. I have to go back in two weeks for a follow-up appointment. If you have any other questions please ask. Honestly, the anticipation was worse than the procedure.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Is your procedure the same thing as a regular lap where they are just looking for problems? I hope not, a tube down the throat scares the sh@# out of me! I hope you recover fast! Becky

7:32 PM, September 21, 2004  
Blogger Sarah said...

Becky,

I don't know how much the procedure I had differed from a regular "looking around" lap. They went in after a cyst and removed it, then looked around.
As for the tube, you will have no memory of it going in or out (they sedate you first) and the only way you'll know they did it is a sore throat.
If you have any other questions, ask away.

7:39 PM, September 22, 2004  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home