Sunday, June 19, 2005

Brilliant, insane, or maybe both

I'm the kind of person who often has really good ideas that don't seem like good ideas to anyone but me until after the fact. Here's my latest...

I tracked down our dog's breeder (we got her when we lived in DC and have since moved to California, the breeder is now in Ohio) to let her know what happened to our sweet pooch. She had a litter due that week and said if there was a female pet (she breeds dogs for show ) we could buy her. There is, and we are. We're getting a puppy, she'll be 13 weeks.

The breeder will be in Seattle on August 12th and so my husband will fly up early, early and come back early afternoon with a puppy in tow. I'm due August 21. Insane? Yup. Brilliant? Maybe.

Here's thing, we have plan b in case I happen to be having a baby on August 12th -- or if I have the baby after the puppy comes home. And beyond that, we will be home, we won't be sleeping, and really, what's a little more poop? Again, it is either brilliant or insane and it will be awhile before I'll know which.

Besides, my mother-in-law keeps insisting we give the baby a name that starts with H to honor her father. That's not going to happen with the baby, but maybe the dog!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This will be interesting. My husband wanted to go out and get another puppy right after Molly died, but he's starting a new job and I'm on bedrest, so there is no one to take care of/play with a puppy right now.

I must say, though, we have never regretted getting any pet we've had. They are all so sweet and loving and just snuggle up to a special place in your heart.

I am worried though b/c my husband asked me "will the babies be as much fun as a new puppy?"

8:46 AM, June 20, 2005  
Blogger Hostile in Ohio said...

There is something strangely similar between puppies and babies. They are both up constantly, need attention, and make messes. While puppies make their messes on the carpet, babies make theirs in diapers. You have to clean both the location is simple different. While babies don't chew (that young anyway), puppies chew everything.

The best part about puppies vs. babies...puppies can be crated when necessary. I have yet to find a way to crate a babyso I can go out...Someday maybe... ;-)

9:20 AM, June 20, 2005  
Blogger Katalyst said...

What breed is your pup, if you don't mind me asking?

We have a Great Dane pup and a baby due in 13 weeks- so although we'll be a bit more settled, I understand the insanity. We weren't planning on having a pup when the baby was born, but we lost our prior Dane to a misdiagnosed blockage (dumb-bleep vet!) and when offered our boy now- we couldn't say no.

11:39 AM, June 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home