Monday, February 07, 2005

A plan -- and just in the nick of time

The doctor shopping is over. I'm relieved to say that I'll be staying with my OB who will work with (should she agree when we speak tomorrow) a perinatologist. The OB will put in the cerclage and both will monitor my progress.

We had a great visit with the peri. He came out into the waiting room to introduce himself. I asked if I should finish the paperwork later and he assured me that he had "as much time as we needed." Not sure I've ever heard that from a doctor before.

He spent a lot of time talking about his doubts about the accurate diagnosis of IC -- he believes that most losses are caused by infection that, if monitored closely, can be caught. While none of us like infections, he hates them. And he will find them and destroy them. Period. Once he finished the infection talk and telling me he doubted I'd need a cerclage, he did a pelvic exam. After close examination he announced "hmmmm, your cervix is already open a bit." He then did and ultrasound and showed me how short my cervix is and where it is opening. He then announced that I need a cerclage. Soon.

Bottom line is he thinks that the operation is a piece of cake. He'll do it if we want, but he sees no reason why I shouldn't have my ob do the surgery. So that's what we'll do. I schedule the surgery date tomorrow and it will happen in the next week.

The peri had lots of questions about my OB and if I felt supported by her. He said what I need is peace, tranquility and support and that if I wanted he'd be happy to work with our OB. He then gave me is direct line, pager number and e-mail address. We spent an hour and a half with him.

I cancelled my appointment with the hotshot doctor who makes people wait for hours to see him. The very thought of having to deal with that kind of care during what isn't exactly a piece of cake made me so anxious and sad -- but of course I would have done it if there wasn't a suitable alternative.

I feel so relieved that the team is, for all intents and purposes, in place. Now I can refocus my anxious energy on how short my cervix is and the fact that it is already opening a bit. Holy shit. My surgery date can't get here soon enough.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blair said...

I am sooooo happy for you in getting a baby team that you are happy with. I am sorry you have to get the cerclage, but I am glad that your peri will work with your OB. I am so glad!

6:11 PM, February 08, 2005  
Blogger Dee said...

Glad to hear that you've made the right decision for you all when it comes to your medical caregivers.

Now let's have them hurry up and schedule that cerclage! Good luck...will be thinking of you.

10:10 AM, February 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home