Wednesday, June 22, 2005

well that was scary

Our baby was quite naughty yesterday.

I was in the shower shaving my legs thinking "odd, I don't really feel pregnant today." Then I thought "yikes, I don't really feel pregnant today."

I didn't feel him move at all in the morning which is really unusual. I ate breakfast which usually inspires a few good thumps. Nothing. I waited about an hour and drank a big glass of juice. Still nothing. I waited another hour and called the doctor. I ended up going in for a non-stress test. First thing I heard after they hooked me up to the monitor was a good strong heartbeat. I don't think I've ever been more relieved in my life. They had me drink some more juice and the doctors pressed some reallly loud alarm thing on my belly and he slowly got moving.

For the first time this little guy scared me. I realized yesterday that I have allowed myself to get used to the idea of bringing home a baby. If he is born now he should be fine, but yesterday made me keenly aware that other horrible things I haven't even imagined before could happen. For a few minutes I let myself imagine the worst and having that small look into what could be was paralyzing.

Apparently he was just resting up for a big evening. He kicked like crazy well into the night and has been a madman today.

I've been officially humbled.

3 Comments:

Blogger Blair said...

How scary it must have been!
I am thrilled to know that he is OK. It never hurts to be be overly cautious... I am glad you went to the doctor.

9:24 AM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Hostile in Ohio said...

I had a scare like that with my son. It was flipping me out! He was fine, of course, but I was REALLY scared then. I was even more scared later, but let's skip that.

5:36 PM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Julie said...

So glad everything is ok!! God those babies just have no clue how much they can scare us!!! Good thing you went and got it all checked out, for peice of mind if nothing else.

6:34 PM, July 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home